Friday, July 31, 2009

Losing Weight, Dealing with Ketosis

I've recently combined two "new" experiments along with intermittent fasting: 1. I'm striving to only eat when I'm hungry on my eating days, rather than intentionally upping my calories to try to maintain my weight, and 2. I'm eating as close to "zero carbs" as possible, in the spirit of Vilhjalmur Stefansson.

As a result, I have lost 3 pounds in the last 3 days. I went from 149 to 146, and as a 6 ft tall male, that is somewhat alarming. I really don't want to lose any weight.

Part of the reason I lost the weight may be because I have gone into ketosis. I know this not by using test strips, but by the side effects I'm feeling: A slight headache, mulitiple trips to the bathroom, and just a "different" feeling. Plus, I haven't had any carbs in 3 days, other than what may be in an egg or a piece of meat.

I'm sure I lost some weight just from water and glycogen loss. I've been in ketosis before, but never stayed long due to side effects. I'm trying to be patient this time, having been reassured through my reading that the uncomfortable feelings are only temporary, and soon I'll be feeling better than ever.

As for not intentionally overeating, I have been mostly true to my intentions. The only time I've eaten when I wasn't hungry is just before my 6:00 PM cutoff time. I may not be particularly hungry at 5:00 or 5:30, but I know I won't be able to eat for another 24 hours, so I do get a meal in. This works out because if I weren't doing IF, I'd probably be hungry an hour or two later, so I may as well eat while I can. Part of that is also my fear of losing more weight.

As for eating just meat and eggs, it is mostly satifsying, though I admit to some carb cravings. I like fruit, and I have to fight the urge to eat it. It seems like the more fat I can get in my diet, the less I crave the carbs. If I eat more lean meat, the carb cravings are worse.

The up side to all of this is that my joints continue to feel better and better. The cleaner I eat the better, and combined with IF, it works very well.

So I'm struggling psychologically a bit, but so far I've kept on track. I'm hoping this is an adjustment period I need to get through, and then it will be smooth sailing.

Bon repos,
Tom

1 comment:

  1. im so happy to hear your joints are improving even more! hopefully your quick weight dump will level off due to glycogen depletion ,,completion. haha.

    my experiment with near zero carbs is over due to my weak cardiovascular system. i got too high a resting heart rate as i continued to eat more and more fat. i probably over did my eating, but since im a very big eater with what is probably a pathologically stretched stomach from the old days, i have to work around my gastro/cardio limitations and cut my meat and fat with some veggies! may hap someday as my endocrine system and stomach become more adapted to normal eating and fat intake i can attempt this again! i believe in it. still waiting to see how you fair! keep us posted :)

    ReplyDelete