Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Maintaining My Weight

Well, it 's been just two weeks since I started my alternate day fasting routine. My biggest concern going in was that I would lose too much weight. At 6 feet even and 150 pounds at the start, I don't have any room to spare.

I'm happy to report that I am still checking in at 149 pounds as of this morning. Actually, I was at 150 yesterday morning. Granted, I have been making a concerted effort to eat as much as I can on the eating days. Even if I'm not hungry, I eat, just to get the calories in.

Take this evening for example. I knew I was going to start my fast at 6:00. So I went to a local buffet restaurant to eat, even though I wasn't particularly hungry. I planned on eating more than I did, but I estimate I got in 800 calories or so.

Most people who take up intermittent fasting do it to lose weight. And I don't see how it could not work. Even though I'm already thin, if I only ate when I was hungry, I would surely be losing weight. That's even though 150 pounds seems to be my "set point," the point where my body likes to be.

My next experiment is to test that theory. In other words, to eat only when I'm hungry on the eating days. Will I lose weight? I think so, but we'll have to see. All I need is the courage to try. I guess even if I do lose some weight, I should be able to gain it back by upping my calorie intake. For those of you who gain weight just by thinking about food, that may seem like a no brainer. But I don't gain weight easily. I'm hoping that my 150 pound set point theory is correct, and that I will be able to gain back to that point, even if I drop to 145 or so. I'll keep you updated on my progress.

Another interesting note along those lines is the status of my appetite. I find that I'm hungry for that first meal at the end of my 24 hour fast, and I eat a larger than normal dinner. I also look for a small meal or good size snack a few hours later before bedtime. After that, my appetite returns pretty much to normal through the end of my 24 hour eating period. So by following my appetite and not eating just for the sake of getting calories in, I estimate that I might eat 25% to 50% more during those 24 hours than I would during a "normal" 24 hours (meaning if I wasn't IFing). So based on 2,000 calories per day, that would be 2,500 to 3,000. By contrast, for the last 2 weeks, I've been trying to get 4 to 5,000 calories in.

I'll keep you updated on my progress.

Bon repos,
Tom

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes all the numbers add up and it's magic.
    Other times they don't add up and it's a bad dream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. keeping an eye on your experiment. if you start to lose too much, the coconut oil is right around the corner.

    funny this am i wasn't hungry when i broke my first low carb, 24hr fast. i only got hungry once i started eating at 3am. *shrug* its a mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh here we are (thank you for pointing this one out to me) I must've missed this one before somehow because I thought I read all your posts. Anyway, I am interested to see what happens when you start only eating when you are hungry on your nonfasting days. Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete